The Overland Track is described by Parks & Wildlife Tasmania as ‘Australia’s premier alpine walk. It’s a 65 km, six-day trek through the heart of the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park’.
And it’s my next big hike!
A while ago I started planning with my partner that we would do this walk to celebrate my upcoming 40th birthday (any excuse will do 🙂 ). Then, life changed and the relationship come to a sudden an painful end – and my knee jerk reaction was – ‘well I can’t do it then’.
Then I sat back and thought about it for a bit.
And I remembered two very important things:
- I’d wanted to do a multi day solo hike for a while, but up until now hadn’t had the guts to actually do it.
- There was no reason I couldn’t do it alone, with a well defined trail, proper planning and safety measures taken, and huts each night where I’d be in the company of others.
I then mentioned it in a Facebook group that I’m part of, and a very kind person offered to send me her maps, laminated walk notes, and itinerary details…and answered a bunch of questions I had. It was the sign I needed – I was doing it!
The exact timing is up in the air at the moment, but I’ll soon start my training and preparation so that I’m good to go when the time is right (still hoping for around November).
My training and preparation will include:
- Buying a food dehydrator and experimenting with food I like to eat and that will keep me going. It also has to be gluten free and vegetarian.
- Hiking with a weighted backpack.
- Making 15 – 20km hikes a regular occurrence (I’ve mainly stayed under 10km lately due to plantar faciitis, but that’s now FINALLY gone).
I’ll be sure to share along the way, and hopefully someone else that’s planning a multi day hike will also find the information useful.
But now…I’m off on a family tropical holiday to escape the Melbourne cold…see you on the flipside!
Bio: Sam is a daydreamer, storyteller, and hiker. She loves getting outside, and you’ll often find her on the bushwalking trails close to her hometown of Geelong. You can follow along with her on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. If you have any questions that she can help with, or would like to chat about possible sponsored opportunities, advertising, or affiliations (that will benefit her audience) please drop her an email at email@example.com.