Hello – Have We Met? I’m Sam from I Heart Hiking
Hi, my name is Sam…and I LOVE to go hiking.
Have we met before? If not (or even if we have!), here’s some things you may like to know about me:
- I live close to Geelong, Victoria.
- I grew up in Ocean Grove. We lived across the road from the beach, and I would be there as often as my mum would let me (mostly walking, or checking out the surfer boys).
- I’ve travelled to 27 different countries.
- I lived in Tokyo (for over 6 months), London (5 1/2 years), and have spent a few long stints in the USA.
- I was once a hiking instructor at a Summer camp in Maine, where we spent most days hiking along the Appalachian trail, and on the beautiful hiking trails of New Hampshire. I drove a van, and ate lots of ice cream. It was one of the best (and hardest) jobs I’ve ever had.
- I have a 4 year old son (soon to be 5), who really doesn’t like to walk (and is also quite stubborn – like his mum). He’s crazy, wild, weird…and heaps of fun.
- I have shared care of my son. This is something I’ll never be OK with. To try and deal with missing him, I go hiking.
- I truly believe that I’m a better mum (and person) when I make the time to do things I love (ie hiking).
- I’ve always loved to write. When I was younger I kept journals and wrote short stories. Now I blog.
- Hiking brings out my creativity – and I’m usually drafting a blog post in my head as I’m hiking.
- I like food. A lot.
- I’m generally a nice person who likes to have fun and have a good laugh. Unless I get hangry (refer to point 11) – this can happen quickly. If it happens it’s best to stay away from me until I’ve eaten (consider yourself warned).
- I turn 40 this year (eek!), and will celebrate with my family and friends, then by doing a 6 day hike that’s been ‘on the list’ for a while.
- ‘The list’ is long and extensive, and can (and will) change frequently and without notice.
- I’m looking forward to ticking items off ‘the list’ with my partner. He is the most kind, supportive, and decent person I’ve ever met (and he doesn’t think I’m crazy). He encourages me to be the best version of myself. We met on a group hiking trip.
- The things I dislike the most about multi day hiking trips are dirty hair, dehydrated food, and re-wearing dirty or damp socks.
- The things I like best about multi day hikes are the immersive experience, and the food, shower and coffee at the end.
- I believe in Karma. I also believe that if we put positive energy out into the world, and treat people how we’d like to be treated, then life is a lot more pleasant.
- I feel a strong desire to give back – in time, skills and money. I’m always looking for opportunities to do this, and want to leave the world better than I found it. I want to have made a difference wherever possible.
- I love to meet new people, travel, go on adventures, and experience life to the full.
- I honestly believe that most people have the time, and the physical capabilities to go hiking (or whatever outdoor activity they’re into) – it just may mean it’s not as often, or as far, as we’d like to go. Most of the time we are the only thing stopping this happening.
Bio: Sam is a daydreamer, storyteller, and hiker. She loves getting outside, and you’ll often find her on the bushwalking trails close to her hometown of Geelong. You can follow along with her on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.